ML40440 USIT Meprolight
ML40440 USIT Meprolight
U.S.I.T SIGHT INSTALLATION TOOL
THE FOLLOWING IS TO SERVE AS A GUIDELINE, AND IS NOT INTENDED TO SUPERSEDE THE GOOD JUDGMENT AND EXPERIENCE OF A QUALIFIED GUN SMITH IN THE SAFE AND PROPER USE OF THIS TOOL. THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE TO BE USED IN ADDITION TO ALL FACTORY INSTRUCTIONS FOR BOTH THE PISTOL AND THE REPLACEMENT SIGHTS.
1) Check the firearm to assure it is unloaded before attempting to disassemble.
2) Proceed with disassembly as instructed by your Owner’s Manual.
3) If so equipped, remove the Decocker/Safety Levers from the slide according to your Owner’s Manual, or by the instructions of an authorized factory representative.
4) Sight removal and assembly instructions are with the slide positioned so that the muzzle is pointed away from the user.
REAR SIGHT REMOVAL:
1) Using the reference chart provided, select the appropriate support block position and install the block so that the number is against the fixture body by sliding it onto the guide rods.
2) Insert the rear of the slide, being careful to assure that the USIT pusher ears will clear the top of your slide. NOTE: Due to some slide variances, you may have to experiment to get the proper support block position.
3) Tighten the slide clamp handle firmly.
4) Turn the pusher handle to move the pusher in the direction noted in your reference chart until the sight is removed. NOTE: A fine pencil line drawn next to the original location of the rear sight will allow you to install your new MEPROLIGHT rear sight to the original location. WARNING: The weapon slide may be damaged if the slide clamp is not properly tightened, or if the slide is not located to allow the pusher ears to clear the top of the slide. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN THE SLIDE CLAMP.
REAR SIGHT INSTALLATION:
1) Start the new MEPROLIGHT sight into the dovetail from the side from which the old sight was removed, being sure the Tritium Lights are facing to the rear. Some fitting may be required due to tolerance variances in dovetails. NEVER FORCE A SIGHT INTO THE DOVETAIL. THIS COULD CAUSE DAMAGE. If necessary, slightly file the sight to fit.
2) Turn the pusher handle to move the sight into the dovetail until it is properly aligned.
3) Reinstall the Decocker/Safety Levers per the Owner’s Manual and check to be sure that they are working correctly.
FRONT SIGHT REMOVAL:
1) Refer to the reference chart for the direction in which the front sight is to be removed.
2) Move the pusher beyond the front sight to the side opposite that from which it will be removed. This will allow you to push the sight with the flat outside surface of the pusher.
3) Select the proper support block height by experimenting with the various positions, being sure that the pusher ears will not contact the top of the slide, once it is located and supported by the support block. Then tighten the clamp to secure the slide in the fixture. NOTE: You may want to put some thin leather on the slide clamp and the opposite channel, to provide a better contact surface and not allow the slide to slip when removing and installing the sights.
4) Turn the pusher until the front sight is removed from the slide. NOTE: A thin line drawn with a pencil on the base of the dovetail, next to the original position of the front sight, will allow you to install the new front sight back to this position.
CAUTION: THIS SIGHT PUSHER MAY BE USED TO REMOVE FRONT SIGHTS, BUT MAY DAMAGE THEM. THEREFORE, IT MUST NOT BE USED FOR INSTALLING NEW FRONT SIGHTS OR FOR REMOVAL OF THE OLD ONES IF PLANNING TO REUSE THEM.
FRONT SIGHT INSTALLATION:
THIS TOOL IS NOT SUITABLE FOR INSTALLING TRITIUM ILLUMINATED FRONT SIGHTS AND MAY CAUSE DAMAGE TO THEM LEADING TO THE LOSS OF ILLUMINATION. USE OF THE USIT FOR INSTALLING FRONT SIGHTS WILL VOID THE WARRANTY.
PLEASE REFER TO THE PICTURE OF THE USIT TOOL SHOWN BELOW TO BECOME FAMILIAR WITH THE FIXTURE – SUPPORT BLOCK – PUSHER – SLIDE CLAMP.
1) When working with the SIG P229 slide, it may be necessary to put some leather on each side of the slide clamp area to give a better grip surface. This is due to the very short contact area on slides of this style.
2) MEPROLIGHT front sights for all GLOCK pistols and the S&W SIGMA are mounted by means of a 3/16” hex head screw. This requires a Hex Nut Driver which may be purchased at either a computer store or from your local hardware store.
3) COLT Government model front sights require staking of the tenon into the slide. It is very important that the support fixture for the front sight supports ONLY the skirted shoulders and DOES NOT CONTACT THE TOP OF THE SIGHT in any way, since this could cause damage to the light source.
CAUTIONARY NOTE: It is essential that the support block be positioned to hold the slide at the height that the sight pusher makes contact with the base of the sight and that the slide does not interfere with pusher movement.